This salad combines ingredients of a classic BLT sandwich with the protein-rich addition of salmon.
Chopped red onion
Non-stick olive oil cooking spray
skinless salmon fillet
salt and pepper
fresh basil leaves
medium head romaine lettuce
large ripe tomato
- Place chopped onion in cup of ice water and soak 10 minutes; drain well.
- Preheat toaster oven to 450 degrees F. Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes and place on toaster oven tray. Spray bread liberally with cooking spray. Toast 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Cool croutons in pan.
- In 9-inch glass pie plate, place bacon on double thickness of paper towels. Cover with another paper towel. Microwave on High 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Let stand 5 minutes or until cool and crisp. Coarsely crumble bacon; set aside.
- From lemon(s), grate 1/4 teaspoon peel and squeeze 3 tablespoons juice. To the same pie plate, add salmon, 1 tablespoon water, and 1 tablespoon juice; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on High 2 minutes. Let stand, covered, 2 minutes. (When serving, remove salmon with slotted spoon.)
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, basil, milk, lemon peel, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Makes 1/3 cup dressing.
- To serve, divide lettuce, tomato, onion, salmon, bacon, and croutons among 4 dinner plates; drizzle with dressing.