You've picked the perfect Mother's Day card. Now, what do you actually say inside? She's done so much for you this year, and it's hard to come up with the exact right words, all in such a small space. We've got you! Depending on the sentiment you're going for, we've got some easy thought-starters below. Last but not least: Grab (or make) a nice gift, or order a bouquet of flowers to go with your note!
Mention a time when she was there for you:
- "When you knew I was worried about going away to college, you made me feel better by..."
- "Things were so stressful after we had the baby, but having you there to help made things so much easier for us."
- "I was really nervous about that big job interview, but your advice made me feel so much more confident."
Shower her with (specific) compliments:
- "You're hilarious and know just how to get an entire room of people laughing."
- "Mom, you're more selfless than anyone I've ever met — not only did you raise three kids, but you made time to volunteer at the food pantry twice a week."
- "You know how to live in the moment and you never sweat the small stuff."
Make her laugh over an infamous family story:
- "I still remember that crazy family road trip when the tire blew out and you had to keep us entertained on the side of the road playing games while Dad fixed it."
- "My friends still talk about the time you saved the day by quickly fi the tear in Emily's prom dress right before we got in the limo."
- "Remember that time Alex and I showed up to surprise you at your 50th birthday dinner? You were so happy and surprised that you started to cry a little. But what you didn't know is that we almost missed it because..."
Share an important lesson she taught you:
- "You taught me the importance of living in the moment and not taking anything for granted."
- "When we were struggling to solve Jake's issues at school, I thought about what you would do, and it helped me realize that..."
- "It was hard for me to accept that I can't do everything, but you taught me that it's okay to ask for help and lean on other people. My life is so much better because of that lesson."
Assure her that you wouldn't be anywhere near the incredible child you are today without her:
- "Without your help (and regular care packages!), there's no way I would have been able to get into med school."
- "Mom, your support meant so much while I was deciding whether I could move to a new city for this great job opportunity."
- "I would not have the courage to start my own family and raise kids if you hadn't set such a great example for me."
And if all else fails, pick a meaningful quote.
- "Life doesn't come with a manual. It comes with a mother." —Unknown
- "My mom is definitely my rock." —Alicia Keys
- "All I am I owe to my mother." —George Washington