Having a healthy, flavorful appetizer on hand is a way to please all your holiday dinner guests.
can whole tomatoes
sprig fresh thyme
can cannellini beans
finely chopped packed curly parsley leaves
- In bowl, with hands, crush tomatoes into small bits; drain. Discard liquid.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium. Add shallot and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until golden, stirring. Add tomatoes, sugar, thyme, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pinch of black pepper. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until almost dry, stirring. Remove from heat; discard thyme. Cool.
- In food processor, pulse beans, feta, mayonnaise, lemon juice, remaining tablespoon oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until smooth.
- In medium bowl, combine parsley, green onions, and capers.
- In 4-cup serving bowl, layer half of bean dip, all of tomato sauce, and half of herb mixture. Top with remaining dip and herb mixture. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 1 day. Serve with crudités.