A woman named Lowri-Anne Wilson went to get her acrylic nails done at a salon in England, which seems nothing to write home about. But after contracting an infection in her nail, things took a serious turn for the worse.
Wilson took to Facebook to share her story and it's fair to say it's pretty horrifying. She claims "They [the nail salon] gave me an infection in my nail when she was doing my nails and it was so bad that I had an abscess under my nail too. I had to go into surgery to have the abscess cut out and my whole nail taken off.
"This is the first lot of surgery that I will be going through ... there will be others to follow when the nail starts growing back. Also I could lose mobility in my thumb ... please be aware of this, as this could happen to you when you have them done."
Wilson explained to that she was told she would have lost her thumb if the infection had spread to her bone, and despite being on antibiotics, she is still experiencing severe pain and will have to undergo further surgery when the nail grows back.
If you needed a reminder about the importance of going to a fully licensed and qualified salon, where tools and equipment should be properly sanitized after every use to prevent the spread of infection.