"My eyebrows peeled off."
It is truly the age of the face mask. Most of us don't think twice about throwing a soothing sheet on our skin or slathering on a peel-off mask for a mini stint of "me time." One Twitter user had the unfortunate experience of either using the wrong mask, using it for too long, or more than likely a combination of both. When it was time to peel off the mask, her eyebrows came with it.
"A facial ravaged my skin."
File this under skin care nightmares. Juli, beauty blogger of , took to her blog to give warning of how a seemingly rela facial turned into one of the most difficult times of her life. It all started out great: Immediately after getting the facial, Juli was happy with the way her skin looked. Two days later, her face began to break out profusely in areas that had never had problems before (eek!). She ed the salon. They assured her it was a result of extremely sensitive skin and that an extraction would solve the problem for good. It didn't. The pustules continued to get worse and after a second extraction, Juli's face was almost . She was forced to wear a mask and patiently wait for her skin to return to normal. Needless to say, there were extreme amounts of emotional and physical pain.
"My hair just burnt off."
This horror story is like that classic, campfire ghost tale that you've heard before, but still always gives you chills. YouTube user Tori Locklear thought she was making a routine hair tutorial about curling hair — but boy, was she wrong. When she released her hair from the wand to debut the finished look, she found the strand melted onto the curling iron. If you ever needed a reason to turn down the heat, remember this perennial horror story.
"A makeup brush paralyzed me."
When it comes to makeup brushes, sharing is NOT caring. An aggressive staphylococcus infection attacked Australian mother Jo Gilchrist's spine and eventually rendered her completely paralyzed. She believes she contracted the infection after using her friend's makeup brush, as her friend was then suffering from a staph infection on her face. She described her pain as a "dull ache" in the beginning, that ended in a total loss of feeling in her legs and lower body. "I literally thought I was going to die," she told . Moral of the story: Keep your enemies close and your makeup brushes closer.
"Hair extensions left a hole in my head."
Of all the things to be afraid of, we never thought hair extensions would be one of them. After all, they're supposed to make your life easier. But London resident Tina Campbell paid a serious price for beauty, after bad hair extensions left her with a hole in her head and in bandages on her 29th birthday. After having the hair for a few weeks, boils formed — which eventually burst open and required medical attention. "I told the doctor to shave it all off," Tina told The Daily Mail. "Thankfully, it didn't come to that." Doctors concluded that contaminated needles used to sew the hair in were to blame for the swelling. Tina also developed boils in other places later on, including one that had to be removed from her spine.
"A Brazilian wax gave me an STI."
After a (seemingly gruesome) Brazilian wax, Maddie Rubin that she began noticing small bumps on her bikini line. A visit to her gyno put her at ease, as she was assured it was not herpes but rather a common infection. However, the internet reignited her anxiety when she realized this "common infection" is not only highly contagious, but also extremely difficult to cure; one woman noted she'd been suffering for four years. Maddie frantically made an appointment with a dermatologist, who dropped a bomb — she had seen this before and double-dipping estheticians were to blame. Of course, Maddie was unsuccessful in convincing the salon it had anything to do with them, but there is comfort in the knowledge that this "gift" stops giving once it's finally gone.